What is the difference between peanut butter and jam? – All that you need to know!
Who would say no to something absolutely tasty, right? This is something that is beloved. Peanut butter is very famous and both children and adults love to taste it. Basically, it comes as a spread or a paste. It is same like another nut fats such as cashew, almond, hazelnut butter, etc. There are two types for you to taste. One of them is crispy or crunchy. It is contained with coarsely-ground fragments. The second one is smooth. There we do not have fragment as it is finely ground until it becomes a soft cream. The original one is only made of roasted peanuts adding a pinch of salt. However, in commercial purpose, we can see various kinds of butter spread with different tastes. The artificial sweeteners, honey, almonds, chocolates and many other flavors are added into it. Then what is the difference between peanut butter and jam?
Here’s the deal;
There you will be able to find everything in detail.
It has high nutritional value and it is a significant source of energy. The main fact that we should know is how many calories in peanut butter. There are about 190 calories in 2 tablespoons of it. It combines with many vitamins and minerals as mentioned below.
- Total Fat 25%
- Protein 14%
- Sodium 6%
- Potassium 5%
- Total Carbohydrates 7%
- Calcium 1.3%
- Iron 3.8%
It is used to make several foods including a variety of desserts such as cookies, puddings, cakes and more. However, a simple peanut butter sandwich is the most well-liked and common. In talking about peanut butter sandwich calories, it depends on the bread that we use. A tablespoon of both smooth and crunchy peanut butter consists of 100 calories approximately. This might be due to the differing taste and ingredients. If we use a tablespoon of it with a white bread slice, it is about 175 calories. There are 190 calories, if it is made of whole wheat bread.
The nutrition fact of a basic sandwich is mentioned below.
- Protein 14%
- Carbohydrate 39%
- Fat 47%
Jam is a product made of fruits. It typically contains both juice and flesh of the fruit. A few simple steps are to follow in preparation of it. First, you should cut the raw fruit into small pieces or crush it, then heat the fruit adding water and sugar. When this mixture heats well, the pectin activates naturally. Finally, let the mixture cool down and store in airtight container. For the best and long-term use, you can keep the jam in the refrigerator. Normally it is made using one fruit like strawberry, blueberry, raspberries, cherries, peach, mango, pineapple, etc. However, the mixed fruit jam is also available in supermarkets.
The term ‘jam’ is different in the American context. The Americans refer to the word ‘jelly’ for it. Actually, what they call ‘jelly is what British people call ‘jam’. Anyhow, it is made from chopped fruit while jelly is made entirely from the juice of fruit.
The difference between Peanut Butter and Jam
- Only roasted peanut can be used to make this while several fruits are used to prepare jam.
- The original taste is not sweet and it can be varied due to extra adding ingredients while any kind of jam is originally sweet.
- The recipes of making both these are different. This is made by grinding the roasted peanuts and sometimes we can add salt and oil into it. In comparison the recipe of jam is somewhat complicated. The fruit is cut into pieces and heated until the pectin-contained in the fruit activates.
- The nutritional value is definitely higher than jam. There are approximately 190 calories in 2 tablespoons. It includes 14% of protein, 15% of carbohydrate, and 71% of fat. However, 2 tablespoons of jam contain only 56 calories. There is only 1% of protein and 99% of carbohydrate.
- There are many health benefits of having peanut butter while jam does not have any notable health advantages. Cardiovascular diseases can be prevented when you consume it, because of its high levels of the monounsaturated fats.
- People have some allergic reaction when they eat nuts. Therefore, they may have the same after eating the butter also. However, the jam is not more allergic.
Peanut butter and jelly sandwich
Peanut butter and jelly sandwich are very common in North America as it was originated there. It is introduced as PB & J in short form. This sandwich can be easily made and both these yummy little sweet spreads are used together. The steps of making a basic peanut butter and jelly sandwich are very simple.
First, you need to take two slices of bread. You can use any type you need. White bread is more popular; however, the brown or whole wheat bread is preferred due to the high nutritional profile. You can decide how much butter and jelly or jam you need. Normally 2 tablespoons from each are enough to have a tasty sandwich. Then spread it on a slice and the remaining one is used to spread jam. Now you need to press the two together and cut it as you like. The traditional triangle shape is the best.
The calories included in peanut butter and jelly sandwich is 378. The bread has 133 calories, 2 tablespoons of it contain 190 calories while 2 tablespoons of jelly are composed 56 calories. There are 12% of protein, 47% of carbohydrate, and 41% of fat. The sandwich does not have cholesterol and therefore it is more health friendly.
These are more popular in North America and Canada. Both children and adults enjoy the taste of them alike. It is easy to prepare both these at home. The nutritional value of it is considerably higher than jam. Basically 2 tablespoons of peanut butter include 190 calories while the same quantity of jam has only 56 calories. Though the two spreads look so different and belongs to contrasting food families, when it is combined together, you have a tasty sandwich called Peanut butter and jelly sandwich (PB & J).